Friday, May 18, 2012

A foot-operated framedrum

While the instruments for my foot-percussion-project all sounded as well as expected and worked properly, the search for the right hardware really has driven me almost mad. I ordered piece by piece of drum-hardware and nothing worked together. At last I have found now a solution and I want to describe it here for people, who want to go the same way like me. First I want to tell, how I use the framedrum and set it up as a bassdrum. As written above I have ordered a Remo 22" Buffalo drum. The drum is equipped with an artificial drum-head unlike usual framedrums, which come mostly with a drum-head made of gault-skin. The advantage of the artificial drum-head is, that it gives more stability and durability compared to a natural one. The Remo framedrum is now slightly damped and I use a very soft beater made normally for mesh-heads to avoid damages. Meanwhile I have added an Evans bassdrum head protection-sticker. 
Now about the hardware: I tried every Percussion-holder for bassdrum-machines, but with all of them it's the same problem. The T-Holder for the connection with the bassdrum-machine is too short. I ended up now with a Meinl Framedrum-holder together with a Meinl PM-1 holder, but to connect it to the machine I have to create something myself to prolong the T-part.



Here you see the Meinl holder together with the Meinl PM-1 ...



... and in this picture you see the extra-soft beater.

The result is a sound close to a bassdrum with less volume. The drum is sounding best, when you hit it not too hard and let it resonate a liitle bit. It's sounding very natural and in my opinion much better than a cajon, which is often used as a bassdrum. Before the framedrum I had thought about to use a 14" or 16" stand-tom, but I gave it up because of the weight and the space of a stand-tom.
The disadvantage of the framedrum might be, that it's not tunabel and possibly not very durable, but the time will tell ... actually I am satisfied with the results. Later I will create some soundexamples.

No comments:

Post a Comment